Sometimes an impromptu date is just the thing to cure mid-week work blues. One of our go-to date spots is the Ferry Building.
Fresh oysters at Hog Island Oyster Company with a pint of cold California lager or sparkling wine is a good way to start off the evening. We love sitting at the bar and watching how quickly they can shuck oysters. There are also tables along the waterfront which are great for watching the sunset. Hog Island has happy hour on Mondays and Thursdays from 5-7pm, offering $1.50 oysters and drink specials.
After having our fair share of oysters, we head over to Ferry Plaza Wine Merchant. They have a seasonal monthly cheese flight which is always delicious paired with a light-medium bodied red wine and an Acme baguette. Wine club members get some good perks including discounted wine flights and no corkage fees for wines purchased in the store.
The businesses inside the Ferry Building tend to close by 8pm which is a good push to head home at a decent time. A stroll along the Embarcadero is the perfect way to walk off some of the wine and end your date on a scenic note.
One of the things I look forward to most on Fridays is date night. I pick a restaurant in the city for dinner and then we stick around the respective neighborhood for a mini bar crawl. My favourite spot at the moment is Nojo in Hayes Valley- a Japanese izakaya.
The atmosphere is really laid back and the service is always really friendly. They don’t take reservations, but are really cool about letting you call ahead and put your name down. It can get really busy between 8pm and 10pm, so keep that in mind.
We have tried almost everything on the menu, but here are some select favourites:
- Karaage of Wings, Necks & Drummies, Sansho & Meyer Lemon: Nojo’s take on wings (my husband’s favourite!)
- Tempura of Tree Oyster Mushrooms, Sweet Potatoes & Meyer Lemon, Daikon Oroshi Sauce
- Fried Potatoes, Tonkatsu Sauce, Scallions, Nori & Katsou Bushi: the sauce is what makes this dish. I tried to spy on the chef last time we were seated at the bar to see what the secret was
- Chicken Skin (on a stick): squeeze lemon and dip in the matcha sea salt.
- Pork Jowl with Tare & Onion: think pork belly on a stick! Delicious!
We haven’t tried dessert yet because I always end up over ordering dinner! I am dying to try the Nojo Sundae so that I can cross another item off the 7 x 7 Big Eat list!